Thursday, June 30, 2005

Memorabilia : My S & G moment

I am walking the streets of Greenwich village in downtown New York City with my buddies on a chilly winters midnight. Nicely buzzed from an evening spent being intimate with a number of different brews. Gazing above, I see the name of the road we are walking on "Bleecker Street", and realize hey this must be the Bleecker Street Simon & Garfunkel sang about in their song. And even though the song is about how each of us, even in the midst of crowded humanity, is still a lonely soul inside, I feel at harmony with the other strangers walking beside me on this little street.

Fog's rollin' in off the East River bank
Like a shroud it covers Bleecker Street
Fills the alleys where men sleep
Hides the shepherd from the sheep

Voices leaking from a sad cafe
Smiling faces try to understand
I saw a shadow touch a shadow's hand
On Bleecker Street

A poet reads his crooked rhyme
Holy, holy is his sacrament
Thirty dollars pays your rent
On Bleecker Street

I hear a church bell softly chime
In a melody sustainin'
It's a long road to Caanan
On Bleecker Street
Bleecker Street

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Abolutely get the same feeling each time u go to bleecker's street...For some reason, the song used to be a fav on the drives to Chembra in waynad..an instant passage through time into past..
And then suddenly the newyork nonharmonic orchestra's Fire Sirens blaze past bringing u to the present!